PDA

View Full Version : The Official LSX Shootout® "I Have a Question" Thread

NMCA Scott
04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
If you have a question concerning the LSX Shootout, post it here. This will be monitored by those hosting the event as well as by the NMCA. Robin Lawrence will be your main conduit for questions and concerns. He is a Moderator here, and will be frequenting the thread.

kpevin
04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Just curious if the LSX 'showdown' class is going to be street cars only and what the index range is going to be. I would assume not but there is a mention of the free true street entry..

NMCAJake
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Kevin, the all-motor class and drag radial class is for both full-on racecars as well as "true street" entries. At least that's the way I read the rules, I mean, they allow dry sump oiling systems...

REDGAR
04-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Just want to make sure I understand the weight correct.

I have 402 cid

Does that mean we must weigh 3300+ or
Does it mean I have to add 8.5# per cid over 370 meaning we'd have to weigh 3420?

And why force a passenger seat when it saves weight to remove it?

kpevin
04-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Kevin, the all-motor class and drag radial class is for both full-on racecars as well as "true street" entries. At least that's the way I read the rules, I mean, they allow dry sump oiling systems...

I'm talking about the LSX 'showdown' index class, not the all motor or drag radial. I havent seen any rules (if any) or the indexes for that one yet, just in the inital press release. I cant play with the 7-low 8 second cars in the heads up drag radial class ;)

NMCA Scott
04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Guys,

All of this is still a work-in-progress so to speak. Index rules will be posted soon, so hang in there with us. Oh, and REDGAR, I don't think the rules are open for debate this time around. I've been told that what you see are final rules, and that any "official" responses will be coming from either Robin Lawrence or Thom Bates. We (the NMCA) did not write these rules, so "we" really cannot make an educated comment to your question.

Floyd
04-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Scott.

9SEC6SPD
04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
i have to ask the obvious, are LT1 f bodies allowed to play? lol!!!

probably not, hell they aren't even considered late model EFI, roflmao!!!

Ed Curtis
04-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Just want to make sure I understand the weight correct.

I have 402 cid

Does that mean we must weigh 3300+ or
Does it mean I have to add 8.5# per cid over 370 meaning we'd have to weigh 3420?

And why force a passenger seat when it saves weight to remove it?

UP TO 370 inches: 3150#

UP TO 420 inches: 3300#

At 422 inches: 3300# base weight of 420 CID+ ( 8.5 X 2 ) = 3317#

As a 402, you need to be 3300#

Ed Curtis

fstr-thanu
04-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I am really fired up about this opportunity and cannot wait!!!

Tom

fstr-thanu
04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
I do have one question though; if the maximum tire size is 325 then the M/T 315 or 295 should be ok?

Tom

Ed Curtis
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
I do have one question though; if the maximum tire size is 325 then the M/T 315 or 295 should be ok?

Tom

Yes... They are.

REDGAR
04-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks Ed.

10.7 tread width is grove to grove right?
MT ET Street is 11.5 x 16 x 28 on their web site says 8.7 tread width so I am good right?

Ed Curtis
04-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Thanks Ed.

10.7 tread width is grove to grove right?
MT ET Street is 11.5 x 16 x 28 on their web site says 8.7 tread width so I am good right?

Should be fine at 8.7 wide where the rubber meets the road, but when you go through Tech ask to have the tires "gauged" up. It doesn't matter what a tape measure may say, the tire must fit the "gauge" to be legal.

Thom Bates
04-04-2007, 05:47 AM
i have to ask the obvious, are LT1 f bodies allowed to play? lol!!!

probably not, hell they aren't even considered late model EFI, roflmao!!!

You can if you've installed an LS based engine. :)

CorvetteMajor
04-04-2007, 10:04 AM
This is going to be one hell of a show bring on the Dyno Queens. Same Track Same Day. A great set of rules with plenty of time to prepare.

No Excuses:D

96Prplz28
04-05-2007, 07:22 AM
If you are running a power adder (nitrous) the only class you can run in is the Drag Radial Class? And one more question, would a MT ET street count as a drag radial since it is a DOT approved tire? probably not but worth a try to ask.

REDGAR
04-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Should be fine at 8.7 wide where the rubber meets the road, but when you go through Tech ask to have the tires "gauged" up. It doesn't matter what a tape measure may say, the tire must fit the "gauge" to be legal.

Ed it's an 1100 mile tow...is there a way we can get a more solid assurance?

Worm Boy
04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I am really fired up about this opportunity and cannot wait!!!

Tom

Hell yea, look forward to seeing everyone there! Is there a chance this could turn into a series for 2008 if the turnout is good?

Ed Curtis
04-05-2007, 11:37 AM
If you are running a power adder (nitrous) the only class you can run in is the Drag Radial Class?

In this event, yes. Only DRAG RADIAL.

And one more question, would a MT ET street count as a drag radial since it is a DOT approved tire? probably not but worth a try to ask.

No. It is a "biased ply" tire.

Ed

Ed Curtis
04-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Ed it's an 1100 mile tow...is there a way we can get a more solid assurance?

Run a tape measure across the tread and if it's actually 8.7 inches wide you will be fine. The gauge is set for 10.6" wide. There is a MAX limit but not a minimum.

Just don't try a set of 29.0-29.5-30.0 diameter tires. The roll out will get you DQ'd.

Ed

Robin
04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
If you have a question concerning the LSX Shootout, post it here. This will be monitored by those hosting the event as well as by the NMCA. Robin Lawrence will be your main conduit for questions and concerns. He is a Moderator here, and will be frequenting the thread.

Thanks Scott,

Sorry that have been out of town (and away from a computer) just when the rules are released.

As Scott said I will be a "conduit" for questions. Thom and Ed have answered several questions here.
Thanks for stepping up while I was unavailable.
Thom and Ed remain part of the rules committee. Any questions that I cannot answer will be resolved with the committee and then I will post an answer or clarification.

I will be postng some comments and clarifcation on the tire questons once am able to talk with the committee.

Thanks for all the suppport.

Robin

Scream
04-06-2007, 07:44 AM
The "fastest" awards...will you have to enter a certain class for that, or can the fastest time/vehicle type be set in any class, including True Street?

fstr-thanu
04-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Hell yea, look forward to seeing everyone there! Is there a chance this could turn into a series for 2008 if the turnout is good?

So you are going to slap a radial on? That is awesome! We should have a strong showing of fast radial cars!

Tom

Worm Boy
04-06-2007, 10:48 AM
So you are going to slap a radial on? That is awesome! We should have a strong showing of fast radial cars!

Tom

Im slapping on radials, another turbo, and a few more bars!:cool:

Anonymous
04-07-2007, 03:48 PM
This looks like it will be good!

BigRick
04-09-2007, 08:18 AM
7.40- 7.50's ???

REDGAR
04-09-2007, 01:25 PM

Hey Scott, will an LSx shootout racer be able to enter the car in the NMCA late model class as well?

NMCA Scott
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey Scott, will an LSx shootout racer be able to enter the car in the NMCA late model class as well?

Nope. If that were allowed it would give the LSx racers extra opportunity to "dial-in" the car. As always, one car...one class. A driver can race two different cars in two different classes, but not the same car in both.

ls1matt
04-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Scott, What is considered an OEM based manual transmission ?

Matt

NMCA Scott
04-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Scott, What is considered an OEM based manual transmission ?

Matt

Matt, that will be a question Robin Lawrence will need to answer. Hang tight, he'll answer in a bit...or...you may choose to look at LS1tech.com. I think the question has already been asked and answered over there.

ls1matt
04-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Matt, that will be a question Robin Lawrence will need to answer. Hang tight, he'll answer in a bit...or...you may choose to look at LS1tech.com. I think the question has already been asked and answered over there.

I looked on LS1tech but I was looking here for an awnser that actually made sence. Does anyone including the NMCA actually allow one type of clutchless trans and not another in a class? Your pro stock rules don't have anything stated like that, NMRA hot street doesn't. NSCA Pro Comp doesn't. Why are we different in that respect.

NMCA Pro Stock

MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS: OEM or aftermarket transmissions with a maximum of 5 forward speeds permitted. Clutchless models permitted. Any gear change must occur from direct action by the driver. Pneumatic, electric, hydraulic, etc. shifters prohibited. Vehicles using manual transmission must add 200 pounds to listed base weight (see section 13). Torque converter not permitted with this type of transmission.

NMRA Hot Street

MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS: OEM or aftermarket transmissions with a maximum of 5 forward speeds permitted. Clutchless models permitted. Any gear change must occur from direct action by the driver. Pneumatic, electric, hydraulic, etc. shifters prohibited. Vehicles using manual transmission must add 200 pounds to listed base weight (see section 13). Torque converter not permitted with this type of transmission.

NSCA Pro Comp

MANUAL TRANSMISSION - Aftermarket transmissions with a maximum of 5 forward speeds, including "clutchless" models, allowed with 200 lb penalty to calculated weight. Electric, hydraulic or pneumatic shifter devices prohibited.

NMCA LSX ALL Motor Class
TRANSMISSION
Any OEM style automatic or manual transmissions permitted (* see weights)
Any torque converter allowed. Lock-up type permitted.
Torque convertors not permitted with manual transmissions
Clutch-activated automatic transmissions (re: Clutch-flite) are prohibited

Matt

Robin
04-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Matt

I know that you posted the same question over at LS1tech. I know that you have your opinion on this. I am here to respond to rules questions and try to convey what GM Performance parts wants in their shootout.

Really you are correct in many ways, if GMPP wants to best showcase the LS series the numbers for that cause would benefit from some unlimited rules.
In the big picture the committee has to draw the line somewhere. When developing rules you try to balance many things. We try to make teching the cars something that won't take 3 hours. We also are very aware of certain good parts that scare the average guy building a car. It's not always the part but the competence of the people and what they can do with certain parts. Unfortunately that line was drawn on the transmission section of these rules.
As this is the first year of the LSX Shootout we expect to learn a lot about the cross section of combinations. The committee is looking past 2007. It's a lot harder to take away a part then it is to allow it later.

As far as the transmissions are concerned there is a big difference. When you double the cluster you halve the load on the clusters. This allows a lot more power through the trans. When you limit the center dimensions of the Main and Cluster to OEM specs it limits how much gear you can fit into a case.
I know that you know all this and I don't know why you want to only relate the clutchless aspect of the transmissions.
I know that Liberty is developing gears for the Doug Nash style cases. They won't be clutchless at this point.

I hope that you can make the race. I can relate to your situaton.

Robin

ls1matt
04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Thank you Robin, I am not trying to disrespect anyone and I love their is even a race. I will put my Pro flight in if I have to but I love the Liberty. You know as well as I do that All Motor is usually the most debated racing around and the people in it usually have pull on which ways the rules go. So I guess I should try to come race with the current rules and make my opinion and presence known.

Matt

Robin
04-10-2007, 10:03 AM
I love my Liberty also. I wish I could tell you "HELL YEAH".

There is a lot of experience on the committee. We hammered out what we felt would appeal to a large group of racers. We also know that the rules must be consistent. Racers have to feel confident that the rules will not change dramatically 30 days before an event.
Mistakes are made, we will correct any that come to light. But in general....the General wants to hold tight. I don't want to seem insensitive to what you guys want. I will do my best to answer all questions.

The Pro Flite is a bad mo fo. You’re in a better position than a lot of other racers.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Robin

REDGAR
04-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Nope. If that were allowed it would give the LSx racers extra opportunity to "dial-in" the car. As always, one car...one class. A driver can race two different cars in two different classes, but not the same car in both.

Thanks Scott. That is with exception of the index "Showdown" cars right? It says in the announcement that Showdown cars will get free entry into the True Street competition on Saturday http://www.nmcadigital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6638

CrawlinRS
04-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Does the chassis have to be a car that was factory equiped with a n LSx engine ?
In other words can I put a LSx engine in my 3rd gen Camaro and run in the shoot out ?

Robin
04-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Does the chassis have to be a car that was factory equiped with a n LSx engine ?
In other words can I put a LSx engine in my 3rd gen Camaro and run in the shoot out ?

No it doesn't

Yes you can

Robin

NMCA Scott
04-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks Scott. That is with exception of the index "Showdown" cars right? It says in the announcement that Showdown cars will get free entry into the True Street competition on Saturday http://www.nmcadigital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6638

Interesting question REDGAR. It reads "All LSX Showdown class participants will get free entry in the NMCA True Street class on Saturday." I am assuming the phrase "Showdown class participants," includes anyone who is there to race in the Shootout: Drag Radial, All Motor, and Index. I do need to get that clarified, and won't be able to until the gang is all together again in Florida tomorrow night. I'm still here in the "O.C." while Harmon and Co. are in-flight. Gimme a couple days to answer this one.

REDGAR
04-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks Scott. Actually I think the Showdown term is being used for the index race that we don't have the detail on yet.

NMCA Aaron
04-11-2007, 08:35 AM
The "Showdown" is the index class(es). We should have those finalized and posted soon.

Aaron

CrawlinRS
04-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks Robin

NMCA Scott
04-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Showdown (Index) rules are now up.

NMCA Scott
04-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks Scott. Actually I think the Showdown term is being used for the index race that we don't have the detail on yet.

(Points gun to head) Oh yeah, that's what I meant.

REDGAR
04-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks Scott.

There is a line about scales there but that does not apply to index racing right?

Do you have an idea of the number of runs/time trials and index racer will have Friday/Saturday before the 1 qualifier on Sunday?

NMCA Scott
04-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks Scott.

There is a line about scales there but that does not apply to index racing right?

Do you have an idea of the number of runs/time trials and index racer will have Friday/Saturday before the 1 qualifier on Sunday?

I will leave the scale question to be answered by someone in the Tech Dept. As for number of runs, it's way, way, way, way, to early to even try and come up with that answer. We won't know until we get a clear idea of how big this is going to be.

REDGAR
04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Okay I will wait 2 or 3....................hours....just kidding.

Ed Curtis
04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
No need to scale an Index Class car.

Ed

Robin
04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
No need to scale an Index Class car.

Ed

What he said:D

Robin

Ed Curtis
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
What he said:D

Robin

You're always slow on the tree Robin....

Ed

Worm Boy
04-11-2007, 04:12 PM
7.40- 7.50's ???

...........;)

9SEC6SPD
04-11-2007, 07:59 PM
You can if you've installed an LS based engine. :)

well i have too much invested in my 23 degree LT1 motor. i can't afford to start over again to build up an LS1 - to run a low 9/ hopefully hi 8 sec Pump Gas Street Driven combo.

if i win the lottery i would build an LSx in a heartbeat.

Worlds Quickest/Fastest 6 Speed F Body
Street Legal & Street Driven - 9.27@ 151.20 mph

CorvetteMajor
04-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by BigRick
7.40- 7.50's ???

Now thats a tall order:D

8secndz
04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
well i have too much invested in my 23 degree LT1 motor. i can't afford to start over again to build up an LS1 - to run a low 9/ hopefully hi 8 sec Pump Gas Street Driven combo.

if i win the lottery i would build an LSx in a heartbeat.

Worlds Quickest/Fastest 6 Speed F Body
Street Legal & Street Driven - 9.27@ 151.20 mph

I hear ya Taner !!!!!!
Years of blood /sweat/tears to get where we have gotten with the LT1.I just finished my new LT1 setup and now am building an LSX combo just because there will finally be a place for my car to race.It Sucks!!! but what can ya do?I will still keep the LT1 around for local stuff ,just a motor and k-member swap away.

fstr-thanu
04-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by BigRick
7.40- 7.50's ???

Now thats a tall order:D

Man, I hope I will be able to hang with all you big dogs!! Rick, are you going 7.40 or are you referring to Feraday?

Tom

9SEC6SPD
04-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I hear ya Taner !!!!!!
Years of blood /sweat/tears to get where we have gotten with the LT1.I just finished my new LT1 setup and now am building an LSX combo just because there will finally be a place for my car to race.It Sucks!!! but what can ya do?I will still keep the LT1 around for local stuff ,just a motor and k-member swap away.

good for you!!! nice to hear. I couldn't afford that if i tried. good luck with it!

Anonymous
04-13-2007, 07:40 PM
The Index Racing looks like a good deal.

vonERIC
04-14-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm curious about the way the cylinder head rules read. It says "OEM or OEM style heads allowed" but then says canted valve heads allowed with a weight penalty. Does this mean that as long as the head bolts to a Gen III/IV block that it's legal? And if not, what is an "OEM style" head? I think it would be a mistake if the only parts allowed were ones made by GM (as seems to be the case with the block). This is a great engine platform and deserves the attention the aftermarket has been giving it. It would be a shame to limit the car count because of parts installed previous to an event promoting a particular engine that's been otherwise ignored by rulesmakers in the major streetcar sanctioning bodies.

Robin
04-15-2007, 05:34 AM
I'm curious about the way the cylinder head rules read. It says "OEM or OEM style heads allowed" but then says canted valve heads allowed with a weight penalty. Does this mean that as long as the head bolts to a Gen III/IV block that it's legal? And if not, what is an "OEM style" head? I think it would be a mistake if the only parts allowed were ones made by GM (as seems to be the case with the block). This is a great engine platform and deserves the attention the aftermarket has been giving it. It would be a shame to limit the car count because of parts installed previous to an event promoting a particular engine that's been otherwise ignored by rulesmakers in the major streetcar sanctioning bodies.

Any aftermarket head, that is OEM style is legal. Inline valves, water jackets etc.

Canted valve heads add 50 pounds.

There are a lot of good heads available in the aftermarket. Several will also have the 6 bolt pattern to take advantage of the extra bolts on an LSX block.

Robin

04-19-2007, 09:54 AM
On a 4th generation Camaro/Firebird the bumper is part of the nose/tail fascia. On these cars will the replacement fiberglass/composite parts be allowed under the bumper rule?
Thanks

Ed Curtis
04-21-2007, 04:54 PM
On a 4th generation Camaro/Firebird the bumper is part of the nose/tail fascia. On these cars will the replacement fiberglass/composite parts be allowed under the bumper rule?
Thanks

An EXACT replacement part should not be a problem. Altered or Pro Stock style noses with a little "extra" frontal length will not be allowed.

What are you looking to use?

Ed

04-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Not changing the size or shape of the car, just replacing the factory rubber parts with fiberglass or carbon fiber replacements. VFN and VanOverbeek both make Camaro and Firebird parts that I have used.

An EXACT replacement part should not be a problem. Altered or Pro Stock style noses with a little "extra" frontal length will not be allowed.

What are you looking to use?

Ed

Ed Curtis
04-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Not changing the size or shape of the car, just replacing the factory rubber parts with fiberglass or carbon fiber replacements. VFN and VanOverbeek both make Camaro and Firebird parts that I have used.

Get me some part numbers you are considering so I can run them by Thom and Robin. First glance, they shouldn't be a problem but there's more than one person on the rules committee.

Ed

04-23-2007, 07:05 AM
VFN has no part numbers, they just list the parts:
'98-2002 Camaro Nose, Bolts to fenders, has solid upper pan that reaches the core support, the lights have been added and can be airbrushed, cut them out if using factory lights

'93-2002 Rear Bumper Clip. Price=362.00

The Firebird parts are listed the same on the tail, and they don't list a nose at VFN.

The Van Overbeek parts also have no part number, you just ask for the part you want, spec the material you want, then they make it.

barkingspud
05-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Which days do I need to be there if I'm in the Drag Radial class? Do I need to be there for all 4 days? Thanks in advance.....

Cheers,

BS

NMCA Scott
05-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Which days do I need to be there if I'm in the Drag Radial class? Do I need to be there for all 4 days? Thanks in advance.....

Cheers,

BS

If you want to get a decent parking spot, I'd plan on being there Thursday.

05-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Is there a place to call to get a answer on this?

Thanks

ProStockJohn
05-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I can't seem to get my old username working so I made another one...

So is the schedule pretty much like it's listed on this website?

THURSDAY: Gates Open:
Test & Tune:
Secure Track: 12 Noon
6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
10:00 PM
FRIDAY: Gates Open:
Test & Tune:
Heads-Up Qualifying Round 1:
Secure Track:
9:00 am
Noon - 3:00 pm
3:00 pm
5:00 PM
SATURDAY: Gates Open:
Bracket Time Trials:
Heads-Up Qual. Rd 1,2,3:
True Street Meeting:
True Street Eliminations:
Auto Show Awards:
Dial-In for Dollars:
Secure Track:
Nitto Racer Appreciation Party 9:00 AM
9:15 AM
11:30 AM
1:30 PM
3:00 PM
3:30 PM
6:00 PM
7:00 PM
SUNDAY: Gates Open:
Bracket Time Trials:
Heads-Up Eliminations:
NMCA Starting Line Ceremonies :
Bracket Eliminations:
Auto Show Rewards:
Burnout Contest:
Car Show Parade:
Secure Track: 9:00 AM
10:00 AM
1:00 PM
4:00 PM

Robin
05-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Is there a place to call to get a answer on this?

Sorry about the delay. I need to look into this and get an opinion before I can say. Not a big deal but I want to be sure.

Give me till Tuesday please.

Thanks

Robin

NMCA Scott
05-18-2007, 07:54 AM
I can't seem to get my old username working so I made another one...

So is the schedule pretty much like it's listed on this website?

THURSDAY: Gates Open:
Test & Tune:
Secure Track: 12 Noon
6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
10:00 PM
FRIDAY: Gates Open:
Test & Tune:
Heads-Up Qualifying Round 1:
Secure Track:
9:00 am
Noon - 3:00 pm
3:00 pm
5:00 PM
SATURDAY: Gates Open:
Bracket Time Trials:
Heads-Up Qual. Rd 1,2,3:
True Street Meeting:
True Street Eliminations:
Auto Show Awards:
Dial-In for Dollars:
Secure Track:
Nitto Racer Appreciation Party 9:00 AM
1:30 PM
7:00 PM
SUNDAY: Gates Open:
Bracket Time Trials:
Heads-Up Eliminations:
NMCA Starting Line Ceremonies :
Bracket Eliminations:
Auto Show Rewards:
Burnout Contest:
Car Show Parade:
Secure Track: 9:00 AM
10:00 AM
1:00 PM
4:00 PM

The schedule is pretty accurate (although when you cut and pasted it here, it lost its formating so it is all jumbled). There could be variables which may result in the schedule changing. The biggest variable (other than rain) will be how many LSX Shootout cars come. If the place is packed, then we'll need to do some adjusting. Please don't ask us to speculate on how things may change, since at this time, we'd only be speculating on the speculation. In other words, we won't be adjusting the schedule until we see what actually happens once we get there.

CrawlinRS
05-18-2007, 08:51 AM
The schedule is pretty accurate (although when you cut and pasted it here, it lost its formating so it is all jumbled). There could be variables which may result in the schedule changing. The biggest variable (other than rain) will be how many LSX Shootout cars come. If the place is packed, then we'll need to do some adjusting. Please don't ask us to speculate on how things may change, since at this time, we'd only be speculating on the speculation. In other words, we won't be adjusting the schedule until we see what actually happens once we get there.

I think its safe to say that race will be as chaotic as the Super Bowl in Joliet.

Anonymous
05-18-2007, 07:29 PM
I think its safe to say that race will be as chaotic as the Super Bowl in Joliet.

I don't know about that, but I hope you are correct?

Then the LSx's in MS will be even closer!

I will be at the Shootout either way.

05-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Any new news?
Sorry about the delay. I need to look into this and get an opinion before I can say. Not a big deal but I want to be sure.

Thanks

Robin

NMCA Scott
05-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Is Robin laying down on the job?

06-11-2007, 07:12 PM
When can we get a answer on this?

Thanks

Robin

Ed Curtis
06-17-2007, 07:43 AM
When can we get a answer on this?

Well, I vote it's legal. Just wait for the rest of the Tech Staff to pipe in...

Ed

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/9802camaronose.jpg

Robin
06-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Well, I vote it's legal. Just wait for the rest of the Tech Staff to pipe in...

Ed

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/9802camaronose.jpg

And I agree, but only if it shares the same openings as the stock unit.
That is not hard to fix though. I will stop by VFN and have a look. Ed and I will touch base with the others in the committee this week.

Robin

Kelly
07-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Does the car have to be a GM or can it be an LS engine in another make?

rtstreet
07-17-2007, 08:52 AM
looks like my shop in the background

REDGAR
07-17-2007, 08:12 PM
True Street class....need DOT rear and front tires?
I have dot rears but have MT ET Fronts, not dot

I copied from the rules where it says front and rears but the text talks about rears only

TIRES - FRONT & REAR:

DOT slick tires or DOT legal radials tires required for drive tires during the road tour AND the Wild Street competition and class run off. Racing slicks prohibited. Maximum actual measured tire size is as follows: Actual measured tread of all racing slick-type tire is limited to 10.6-inches. For D.O.T. radial tires, maximum sidewall designation permitted is 325mm. Tire height is unrestricted. A “go-no go” gauge will be used to measured tire width. Tire shaving is prohibited. Tire changing is prohibited during or after the road tour.

REDGAR
07-25-2007, 06:56 AM
TTT in case the recent questions were missed due to Super Bowl

Ed Curtis
07-27-2007, 06:23 PM
True Street class....need DOT rear and front tires?
I have dot rears but have MT ET Fronts, not dot

I copied from the rules where it says front and rears but the text talks about rears only

TIRES - FRONT & REAR:

DOT slick tires or DOT legal radials tires required for drive tires during the road tour AND the Wild Street competition and class run off. Racing slicks prohibited. Maximum actual measured tire size is as follows: Actual measured tread of all racing slick-type tire is limited to 10.6-inches. For D.O.T. radial tires, maximum sidewall designation permitted is 325mm. Tire height is unrestricted. A “go-no go” gauge will be used to measured tire width. Tire shaving is prohibited. Tire changing is prohibited during or after the road tour.

My interpretation is DOT front "and" rear bro...

Ed

REDGAR
07-27-2007, 06:47 PM
My interpretation is DOT front "and" rear bro...

Ed

mine too but I am hoping I am wrong :(

kpevin
07-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm pretty sure its DOT front and rear for true street.

According to NMCA true street rules:

STREET EQUIPMENT
In order to compete, all vehicles and/or drivers are required the following:
1. Valid driver’s license
2. Valid vehicle registration
3. Valid license plate(s). Dealer/Temp plates prohibited.
4. Valid insurance “ID” card. Faxes and/or letters from insurance companies and/or brokers not acceptable.
5. Valid state inspection sticker (if required by state vehicle is registered).

6. D.O.T. Radials or D.O.T. Slicks on front and rear of vehicle.

7. Hood is required, may be made of lightweight material. Hood scoops permitted. Hood/scoop may be liftoff, must cover the entire engine & induction system.
8. Any type of passenger windows permitted, but must be functional – up/down and in working condition.

Matt D
08-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Ok, I feel like I am missing something here. I looked at the rules and they are not detailed like the NMCA Late Model EFI class. For example, the rules for interior in EFI state:

6.1 INTERIOR
INTERIOR (LATE MODEL EFI CLASSES): Must have full factory seating, upholstery, and carpeting. Aftermarket
upholstered bucket seats permitted. Full dashboard mandatory. Aftermarket gauges permitted. Rear seat may
be removed when roll bar/cage is installed. Area must be carpeted or upholstered equivalent to factory
specifications (no bare paneling).

Does that not pertain here for the LSX Shootout? I plan on running the 11.50 index, no roll bar with the Jegs plastic seats and no rear seats. Will that be okay?

Ed Curtis
08-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Ok, I feel like I am missing something here. I looked at the rules and they are not detailed like the NMCA Late Model EFI class. For example, the rules for interior in EFI state:

6.1 INTERIOR
INTERIOR (LATE MODEL EFI CLASSES): Must have full factory seating, upholstery, and carpeting. Aftermarket
upholstered bucket seats permitted. Full dashboard mandatory. Aftermarket gauges permitted. Rear seat may
be removed when roll bar/cage is installed. Area must be carpeted or upholstered equivalent to factory
specifications (no bare paneling).

Does that not pertain here for the LSX Shootout? I plan on running the 11.50 index, no roll bar with the Jegs plastic seats and no rear seats. Will that be okay?

"Index Classes" do not follow the "Heads Up Class" rules exactly. They are intentionally left more "open" in certain areas. As long as you are legal for the NHRA/IHRA "safety" rules and fit the "index" you're running, you should be OK. Now break into the 11.49 (or better) range and beware of the wraith of Tech...

Contact Mike Bruns and he can get you a confirmation, but unless the car is unsafe or looks like a POS, I believe you should be fine... :D

Ed

PAUL WILEY
08-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Ed .......

Don't you have anything better to do then troll on the forums!:D

PAUL WILEY

Matt D
08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
"Index Classes" do not follow the "Heads Up Class" rules exactly. They are intentionally left more "open" in certain areas. As long as you are legal for the NHRA/IHRA "safety" rules and fit the "index" you're running, you should be OK. Now break into the 11.49 (or better) range and beware of the wraith of Tech...

Contact Mike Bruns and he can get you a confirmation, but unless the car is unsafe or looks like a POS, I believe you should be fine... :D

Ed

Thanks Ed. The car passed NMCA tech fine at Route 66 a few weeks ago. It has a full interior the only things that I will be changing up is replacing the two front seats with the Jegs plastic seats, and removing the rears. It is fully carpeted where the rear seats were, including over the brackets. No bare metal is showing.

Ed Curtis
08-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Ed .......

Don't you have anything better to do then troll on the forums!:D

PAUL WILEY

Hey transplant... Hope you're getting a nice sunburn moving to the south...

Actually, since Robin is now getting closer to social security time and is forced to use generic drugs, I've been getting the Tech questions answered over here....

You know about "Uncle Robin" and his meds. ;)

Ed

CrawlinRS
08-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I am thinking about doing double duty in Memphis. I plan on running my Trans Am in NMCA EFI and I have the option of driving my friend's LS1 Camaro in the LSx shootout index class.

My question is:
If i register to drive my friends Camaro in the LSX shootout, can he drive the car in True Street and still get the free entry ?

NMCAMike
08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
I am thinking about doing double duty in Memphis. I plan on running my Trans Am in NMCA EFI and I have the option of driving my friend's LS1 Camaro in the LSx shootout index class.

My question is:
If i register to drive my friends Camaro in the LSX shootout, can he drive the car in True Street and still get the free entry ?

Your friend will still have to register the car for True Street, so no free entry.

1BadGoat
09-11-2007, 11:22 AM
If we are attending the Races Sat, and Sun what are the Crew Members fees for 2 days, I have only seen pricing for 3 days not 2 :confused:

Trey Capps
09-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Sat-Sun Crew\ Spectator is $35

1BadGoat
09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Thank You Sir

1BadGoat
09-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Can we bring support vehicles to the LSX Shoot Out (Golf Cart / 4 Wheeler) ??

Robin
09-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Can we bring support vehicles to the LSX Shoot Out (Golf Cart / 4 Wheeler) ??

Yes, I know there are restrictions in the general rules sections on who and what.
I think that they have to have a car number and ridden only by adults.

Robin