Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracks recommendations, post them in here!

Tracks recommendations, post them in here!

As the title states, give us your opinions on which tracks we should look at and why.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Hi Aaron,

It's great to see the NMCA considering a regular presence on our coast. Here's my thoughts on venues for future events:

Fontana - the location is ideal for the southwest crowd, and they've really improved the track and it's preparation. But there is the lingering issue of excessive noise, and until that gets resolved it may not be the best choice as I suspect many come to watch the pro and outlaw classes.

Bakersfield - It gets hot there, but I understand they have a new racing surface that can be excellent at night (Artis Houston proved that a week or so ago). This track is my number two pick because it's close enough to both southern and northern California to draw racers from each region.

Vegas - My number one pick. Great track and (un)usually great surface prep. They even had cars hooking at SCSN last year when the temperatures were of Arctic proportions. Also geographically ideal to draw racers from many different locations.

Phoenix (either track) - My favorite city to visit when racing. Never raced at Speedworld, but my understanding is that blowing dust can be an issue. Might be a tougher sell for northern California and Pacific Northwest comrades.

Honorable Mention - Barona in Ramona, California. The new(er) owners are racers and care about the racing community. With many classes increasingly running 1/8th mile, Barona is a good fit. Having said that, I think the facility may still be a bit challenged when it comes to high horsepower, small tired, ridiculously heavy cars. But it's been a very long while since I last visited the track, and things may be changing. Certainly might be worth a look for more mildly mannered "street class" cars.

Aaron, goood to hear that the NMCA is looking for more races out this way. My 1st choice would be Speedworld in Wittman, Az. The staff likes the headsup events and the track has one of the longest shutdown areas on the westcoast. It's far enough out of town that there is no noise issues.
    2nd choice would be Vegas.

Thanks for the replies. This is exactly the kind of info we're looking for!

Hi Aaron, we're so glad to hear NMCA is considering to run races in the west coast.

Here are some tracks:
    Las Vegas, (can't go wrong with Vegas)
    California Speedway in Fontana,
    Famoso in Bakersfield,
    Speedworld in Wittman Arizona

#1..Las Vegas

#2..Famoso

#3..Speed world
    Last edited by intocarss; 07-31-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    http://rappracingengines.com/

"A race car doesn't know how old the driver is."

#1 Auto Club Dragway....Excellent facility,well prepped,great SoCal location awesome management and staff
    #2 Vegas.....same as above
    #3 Borona....Great people that operate track.They know how to pack the place with fans and they have done upgrades this year.
    Last edited by et7333; 08-01-2011 at 05:20 PM.

west coast Heads-Up

I am glad i saw this on the bullet....

I have to try and bring some heads-up to this bracket race hell. I have been to a few NMCA races when i Lived in FL and had a good time.

1. Firebird---Idaho!!! Nice Track just a drive.
    2. Arizona---Any track
    3. And of course Vegas

thanks

Stu smith

Very exciting for West Coast Racers to have the ProMedia group operating some races in the west. I echo David Schwarz comments. I would stay away from booking anything mid June through mid Sept, all three locations are too hot and not to comfortable for racing.

As a racer who has toured the country to seek out good competition and recognition for our efforts we are excited about the prospects of a three race points series for NMCA with a east west challenge in the mid west would be a big deal to bring along the western racers. The last few years the quality of cars have improved and they are closing the gap with the eastern racers. ProMedia can and will elevate the quality of events and level of racing for the west.

Las Vegas - Is everyone's number one pick. Great track and usually a great surface prep. Also geographically ideal to draw racers from many different locations. Good pits, pull cars from So Cal and AZ. Great grandstands and lots of hotels, resturants and nightlife. Can be windy.

For Socal:
    Fontana - the location is ideal for the southwest crowd, and they've really improved the track and it's preparation. But the noise issue will hurt the show, and until that gets resolved it may not be the best choice as I suspect many come to watch the pro and outlaw classes. The track people are great.

Bakersfield - Is a longer drive and it gets very hot there, This track is our number two pick because it's close enough to both southern and northern California to draw racers from each region.

Don't think the Barona deal will work, 1/8 mile racing is not what NMCA/NMRA is about.

Arizona:
    Phoenix (either track will work) - But Firebird has much better lighting for night time and larger pits. When the track is prepped the traction there is great. Speedworld has made some good improvements over the years but the track surface can be touch and go. Lighting for nightime is marginal. The pits are small for a larger event. If you pull a crowd for the stands then Firebird is your best choice.

Tucson: Good track surface but higher altitude and windy at times. Long haul for Socal racers and hard to draw.

You can count on AMP Performance three heads up cars and Bott Motorsports to be an avid participant in any such series.

Dan and DR Bott
    AMP Performance
    Hot Street Mustang

Don't forget northern California. Sacramento raceway would be nice. Sonoma is really nice with a large facility. The thing about Sacramento is, you will have a lot of spectators. If you go there on a Grudge night, there are more people there than a PSCA or WCHRA race.

Thanks for all of you input we are moving ahead with this series and talks with both sponsors and tracks. There is a lot of interest brewing on the West Coast for a series like this with racers, track operators and most importantly sponsors. One thing for sure Pro Media / NMCA will use all its available resources to make this a first class professional series. Don't forget if you have any question or ideas give me (Gene) a call Tues, Wed, Thur. between 1pm and 5pm Pacific time @ 714-460-3813

Fontana, Bakersfield, Sacramento, and Sonoma would be my picks!
    Brian Rock - '65 GTO

Tracks

Vegas and Fontana are both GREAT tracks but I'd be willing to go to AZ and Nor Cal for races as well since we're always racing at Vegas and Fontana.

Thanks

Vegas should be on there for sure.
    There needs to be at least one race in the Northwest. Pacific raceway in Kent, wa gets my vote

It would be outstanding to see more events out here.

Surely Vegas, Fontana, Bakersfield, Speedworld would be some I recommend.

Also, index classes are a must have. It will double your open comp count if you keep it at .400 tree. If you change to a .500 like on the East Coast, it will most likelly not grow too large. That's what the no E bracket class is for.

Anyway, great job at Fontana. We sure enjoyed it.

Crummy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast