Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Banning Vinnie from the board

I am sure he is a good guy Ron. It's just a shame he disappeared and hasn't resurfaced anywhere else that I have heard of. Like you said though, if something like this becomes a reality I hope lots of guys show up who have talked about the suspension issue. If not it becomes like the race a couple of years ago in Milan sponsored by Speed Freak Clothing on Sunday which was a heads up race of the quick 16 on the ladder. I think a decent amount of cars were there but I know the weather was questionable and guys didn't make or couldn't make the trip.

BTW your post ends like a Bob Frey write up from the back page of National Dragster.

Quote Originally Posted by marc schank View Post
    BTW your post ends like a Bob Frey write up from the back page of National Dragster.
    Actually, to have done that, I would have written something like:

"And a special thanks to all that made this possible: Marc Shankweiler, Mark Scordato, Paul Kwiatkowski, Paul Ferrucci, Vinny Fiore, Vin Diesel, Tom Heatley, Canned Heat, Canned Hams, Charlie Harmon, Mark Harmon, Johnny Hunkins, Johnny Come Lately and James Foldenauer.... especially James Foldenauer"

Ron Ward

There you go. I tried and got through two or three names but I didn't want to use non racing names but you made it work. I know that took some time though good work.

Stay tuned........ While I get a chance to FIRE OFF on this one.

AKA likka stow / Banned blue Nova

Quote Originally Posted by 72nova598 View Post
    Stay tuned........ While I get a chance to FIRE OFF on this one.

AKA likka stow / Banned blue Nova

Should I ban you now or later?

Quote Originally Posted by NMCA Scott View Post
    First, Vinny wasn't booted for complaining about the rules or for bitching about the way he feels he was treated. He was tossed (from here) for other reasons, which I don't have the time to get into. As I have said before, no one minds it when people get upset and write about it here as long as it stays constructive. I censor when it becomes personal, or when people begin writing things as fact, which can easily be proven untrue.

The "what is a street car" argument has always been very contentious -- that we all agree on. It has also been beaten to death on this and other forums. I have addressed it personally here, as well as in my column. I have posted what the NMCA's intent for the class is on a number of occasions as well. For clarity, I will again state that the True Street class within the NMCA is not designed to draw cars that blur the line between street cars and race cars that can be driven on the street, nor is it designed for a bunch of guys to go on tour with us. It’s a class intended to allow local guys to come out and test their mettle. Somehow that concept keeps getting diluted by a few guys who (seemingly) don’t want that to be the case.

For the most part, which is obvious because of the ladder bar rule, the class isn't inviting for those who have 7-second cars. It doesn't pay enough to justify guys with even eight or even nine-second cars. The low payout is by design -- the class isn't for super fast cars. It never has been and probably never will be.

I know that seems contradictory since drag racing (should) be about the fastest cars, but understand we are operating under the pretense (which many of you think is fundamentally wrong) that the class isn’t designed for each and every car out there – no matter whose definition of street car is used.

I think the phrase you fast guys want to see us state is “we don’t want fast cars”. To a degree that is true. Obviously, if we are writing the fastest of the fast cars out of the rules, it’s safe to say we don’t. The rub for the guys with the fast cars is they want to run, but “we” don’t want them to. The NMCA has stated publicly on a number of occasions that we believe fast cars eventually cause trouble – including demands for higher payouts, more recognition, better parking, not having to sit in the lanes for two hours, etc. That problem is compounded when those same cars decide to “tour” with us.

I don’t mind parking my 12-second Buick in the grass when I go to the races, but if I had a 7-second car, I invested 100,000 or more into, I would expect more respect. The thing is, the class is True Street, not Pro Street, or Super Street.
    If someone has a 7-second car, and they want that “respect”, there are plenty of places where they can race, but that class isn’t True Street.

In our opinion (which once again, I know a lot of people disagree with) True Street is about 12, 11, 10-second Buicks (or whatever), parked in the grass, where the owners can hang out, shoot the shit, go on a 30-mile cruise, come back, race, then have a beer and relax – more.
    These are our rules guys. They may be f’d up, and you may believe stupid, backward and idiotic, but those are the rules of our game.

We’re talking here about two racers that have raced with us to this point, who have made a lot of noise. I’m sure there are more out there, but I have to deal with what I know and what we’ve seen. Does the NMCA allow rules to be dictated by two?

Now… with all that being said. No one can deny that “street” cars of today are a hell of a lot different then they were 24-years ago when this whole thing started. Eight-second street cars are aplenty. Nine-second cars are a dime a dozen, and it seems like everyone has a 10-second car. The seven-second cars are limited, but I’d say if you define “street car” as tagged and insured with headlights, horn and wipers, there are a bunch of seven and even six-second cars out there. Toss in the 30-mile cruise, go back-to-back without turning a wrench, and those numbers will diminish, but you get my point – the cars are faster these days – much faster.

The overriding question is: Should the NMCA adapt to this trend, or keep with the status quo? I think, at least for the short term, the answer to that question is, we’re staying with the status quo. I know that sucks for you guys with fast cars, and also acknowledge that these rules don’t allow for the fastest cars to run, begging the question that if the class is designed for fast cars, why are we excluding them? Seems silly, I know, but it is our fundamental belief that the fastest cars will eventually diminish the fun of those with slower cars. We know the ladder bar rule will not stop cars from going sevens, and that it ended up eliminating cars that ran a lot slower than sevens as well.

No, it’s not a perfect rule, but it was a way to start slowing the class down. I think, however, the rule serves a greater purpose to show those with fast cars, we’d prefer they race in another class. To take that a step further, I wouldn’t be surprised to see other rules put into place, to limit the ET, such as no inside-the-cab intercoolers, etc.

Bottom line: True Street, by our definition, is not intended for guys who want to run in the seven-second range, and go on tour with us. We have, on a number of occasions privately and publicly stated that the intent of the class isn’t for fast touring cars to race with us. Somehow though, a few racers feel it is… and then blame us for writing them out of the rules. If someone has a car that fast, there are plenty of other places where they can race, get great parking, a better payout, and get the recognition they feel they deserve.

Finally...the idea of an “Outlaw” True Street-style race. It’s a fabulous idea. It’s been discussed before, and I have (many times) described it as what happened with the birth this type of racing to begin with. How many times have I said that True Street IS Pro Street 25-years ago?

There is a place for that kind of race, and we’ve been discussing it here for a couple of years. It will happen eventually, that I know. What I don’t know is if we’ll be the ones doing it or if some other, yet to be known, entity will. The time is right for this kind of race… again. I’m trying my best to make it happen.
    I give you props for just coming out and saying you don't want fast cars in True Street.

What is going to happen when someone builds a legal car that beats the current 7 second record. Limit the chassis cert to 8.50 max?

A light turbo car with a 25.5 cage on e85 won't even need an intercooler at all...

Welcome to the party. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NMCA Aaron View Post
    Welcome to the party. LOL
    Holy thread resurrection Batman. Glad to have you chime in Rob. I am sure they will cross that bridge when they come to it. I just hope they can make 275 survive because everyone else sure is.

Nothing is stopping Vinny from changing his car to stock suspension. Angel Padilla and Joel Cura produced a pair of sub-8.50 averages with a stock suspension Fox Mustang.

Derek
    Derejk "The Nordic God of Foul Starts"

1970 Chevrolet Nova SS Clone
    NMC 8060, O/C 9281, True Street
    -Just another street/strip car

2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula
    LSX Rumble #628 and back-up bracket racer

Staff writer, FSC

www.fquick.com/Villain281H

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open."

Some one say my name? I didnt do it!!!!!!!

Is that REALLY your first post on here???? That was lame! Hit the newbie thread!

Hey, at least he posts under his real name. Not some 1lamejeep84 or some crap

Oh yeah..Greg...HIT THE NEWBIE THREAD! LOL

I never have anything to hide

Aaron, we're not on that board at the moment!

Welcome aboard Greg, although I feel weird saying that b/c I know how long you've raced with the NMCA....
    Derejk "The Nordic God of Foul Starts"

1970 Chevrolet Nova SS Clone
    NMC 8060, O/C 9281, True Street
    -Just another street/strip car

2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula
    LSX Rumble #628 and back-up bracket racer

Staff writer, FSC

www.fquick.com/Villain281H

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast