Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not exactly how I pictured the Camaro..

Thumbs down Not exactly how I pictured the Camaro..

Well, not 3 weeks before Bowling Green anyway... dad thought the car sounded a little odd when I was headed to the lanes the other night so I decided to check plugs, lash etc just to make sure all was okay, well the plugs looked great, nice and clean except #4, so I pulled the valve cover to check the valve lash... low and behold, #4 exhaust has excessive lash, so I started to adjust it down and it tightend against the stud but still had about .060 gap. Not a real good feeling, so I swapped #4 exhaust rocker with the #6 exhaust rocker.. no change... so I pulled her apart and here's what I found:

Denny Pett
    NMC 8401
    Open Comp 9089
    2011 / 2013 NMCA Signature Award Recipient

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    Carolyn, Dad, Andy Warren, John Mackey
    Jason & Patrick @ Auto Transmission Factory
    WWW.ATFSPEED.COM

Zach @ Quick Fuel Carburators

So needless to say, cam is coming out, pan coming off and checking for further damage and if all is well, she'll get a new Lunati bump stick.... just hope theres enough time and money to get her ready in 3 weeks....
    Denny Pett
    NMC 8401
    Open Comp 9089

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    WWW.ATFSPEED.COM

Blog Entries
    don't really know what i am looking at but trust it is not good

The bottom of the lifter should nice clean and straight, not concave... there's about .040-.050 of metal missing from the bottom of the lifter. I'm hoping those shavings were caught in the filter and not the rod bearings.. the pic of the rocker and stud show where the rocker was wearing on the stud.
    Denny Pett
    NMC 8401
    Open Comp 9089

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    WWW.ATFSPEED.COM

Blog Entries
    Ahh..when you put it that way...I can see the issue
    2014 Return stifled
    2013 Car sold, trailer sold, truck sold...just a fan now
    2012 Retirement?
    2011 Eaton Posi Late Model EFI Champion! Back-to-Back
    2010 Eaton Posi Late Model EFI Champion!
    2009 Memphis LSX Shootout Rumble Winna!
    2008 Atco LSX Showdown Winna!

Ls ls ls ls ls ls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls ls
    Andy Warren
    2009/2010/2011 NMCA Nostalgia Muscle Car Champion

TRZ Motorsports, ATF Speed, Flowmaster Mufflers, Dart Machinery, Fuelab, VP Race Fuels, Mickey Thompson Tires, Flex-a-Lite, Scorpion Racing Products, Knieriem Racing Engines, Quick Fuel Technology, Ultimate Converter Concepts, Moroso, MSD Ignition, Red Line Oil, Comp Cams, Powermaster Performance, and Afco
    WarrenRacing@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenRacing71 View Post
    Ls ls ls ls ls ls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls lsls ls ls ls ls
    This!!!
    NMC/AA 70 Chevelle SS "Super Skunk"

Thanks to: STARNES PERFORMANCE AUTOMATICS
    936 494 8385 www.starnesperformance.com

LS is good idea. The only thing I have a question on is are the push rods long enough? The way it was rubbing on the bottom of the rocker leads me to that thought. If it is on that one cylinder then I guess it is cause of the lifter failure.
    Steve W.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenRacing71 View Post
    That all aluminum 5.3 I have sure would look pretty in there.. but man that stuff is still high dollar..
    Denny Pett
    NMC 8401
    Open Comp 9089

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    WWW.ATFSPEED.COM

Quote Originally Posted by WR169 View Post
    LS is good idea. The only thing I have a question on is are the push rods long enough? The way it was rubbing on the bottom of the rocker leads me to that thought. If it is on that one cylinder then I guess it is cause of the lifter failure.
    Push rods are fine, I'm thinking it was either lifter failure or I didnt set the lash correctly, but if the other 15 were fine, why would I screw that 1 up.... who knows.. I'll have a new Lunati bump stick in there shortly...
    Denny Pett
    NMC 8401
    Open Comp 9089

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    WWW.ATFSPEED.COM

Flat tappet cams and today's oil do not like each other. This is a BIG problem (at least in my area). I used Brad Penn break in oil on mine and am still worrying about it (although it seems alright) because I was too cheap to buy a hydraulic roller. In fact it still has the break in oil in it, I only changed the filter.

GMCRACER - 88 GTA maybe next on deck
    George Carey

We have always ran Castrol 20-50 with no wear issues. Now we are running VR1 30. I think if you run 10-30 or less you will run into more issues with zink cause those are the most popular.
    Steve W.

You need to break the new cam in with a good break in oil with a high zinc content and break in rocker arms if you have any, 1.2 or 1.3 ratio. VR1 oil is a really good oil to use after break in. Been using it for many years in everything from street engines to FI alky race engines with no problems. I have a set of 1.3 break in rockers for SBC with 7/16 stud you can use, if your close to Cookeville,TN.

Most auto parts stores carry the break in additive if you don't want to run the expensive race oil. Definitely a must when breaking in new valve train parts.
    Andy Warren
    2009/2010/2011 NMCA Nostalgia Muscle Car Champion

TRZ Motorsports, ATF Speed, Flowmaster Mufflers, Dart Machinery, Fuelab, VP Race Fuels, Mickey Thompson Tires, Flex-a-Lite, Scorpion Racing Products, Knieriem Racing Engines, Quick Fuel Technology, Ultimate Converter Concepts, Moroso, MSD Ignition, Red Line Oil, Comp Cams, Powermaster Performance, and Afco
    WarrenRacing@comcast.net

Brad Penn makes great break in oil and their green oil has all the additives your flat tappet needs >>
    ALL OUT AUTOMOTIVE Support Your Local Speed Shop VORTECH Top Tier Dealer/Installer ~ Tony's Metal Crafts ~ Harris Motorsports
    Dealer for trick flow,upr,summit,moser,keystone,mickey T. BIG STUFF 3, Moran Injection, Trans Specialties, FAST official member TS 8 sec club www.facebook.com/AllOutAutomotive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast