Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FSC New # 2

FSC New # 2

Same sux format but think you told us that was coming. Index combined chapter has become the Jim Netherland show. You two Buick guys need to get a room. Jim is a great racer and a great guy but two months in a row is little much when there are only 5 pictures for two months of NSS and he has 3.

Very disappointed with the direction FSC has headed and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with Jim. It's the format CHANGE and lack of coverage and pics.

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard my brother's coverage in XS was minimal too.

Bobby I sent you a PM the other day.
    Andy Warren
    2009/2010/2011 NMCA Nostalgia Muscle Car Champion

TRZ Motorsports, ATF Speed, Flowmaster Mufflers, Dart Machinery, Fuelab, VP Race Fuels, Mickey Thompson Tires, Flex-a-Lite, Scorpion Racing Products, Knieriem Racing Engines, Quick Fuel Technology, Ultimate Converter Concepts, Moroso, MSD Ignition, Red Line Oil, Comp Cams, Powermaster Performance, and Afco
    WarrenRacing@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenRacing71 View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but I heard my brother's coverage in XS was minimal too.

Bobby I sent you a PM the other day.
    I guess I look at it and become disturbed from a business standpoint by the lack of coverage and pics for a World Finals event or any event for that matter. I know in 1993 or 4 whenever my first NMCA race at Gainseville running Modified ET and what got me hooked was the coverage then. It has always been good ironically except when NMCA was with Hot Rod the little guys were no where to be found.

But the coverage with Promedia exceeded every expectation up until now. Just take a look at NMCA Indy coverage and log on to NMRA World Finals and check the difference. The NMRA World Finals is kind of coverage we did have. Maybe it is going to change back, just trying to make sure it does unless heads-up and brackets are gonna support each NMCA race.

Just so there is no guessing, I am clearly stating that in my opinion, that event individual class coverage as before is/was a MAJOR drawing card for spending the time away and expense to run NMCA events. Not only for current events but for events to recall forever. Not everyone can win but the coverage somehow encouraged a return trip.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't think so. BTW I saw John win picture and you be the judge.

Blog Entries
    One the biggest thrills the average Joe can have to see him(her)self in mag. I can take a guess at what some of the drivers can be for the new format but not my expertise so will withhold comment other than agree with BB along the lines that being in the mag is huge motivator to spend the bucks to travel the circuit potentially a demotivating with the new format.
    2014 Return stifled
    2013 Car sold, trailer sold, truck sold...just a fan now
    2012 Retirement?
    2011 Eaton Posi Late Model EFI Champion! Back-to-Back
    2010 Eaton Posi Late Model EFI Champion!
    2009 Memphis LSX Shootout Rumble Winna!
    2008 Atco LSX Showdown Winna!

I haven't received my latest copy yet and while I agree the new format leaves a TON to be desired and I absolutely LOVE seeing my car and name in print, it's not the only reason I run the series. It's the family like setting we have in the pits, the "open tool box" type racers we all race with, everybody willing to help you without question, putting a guy on the trailer one round and he routing you on the next round, it's nothing like I've ever experienced before and this just isn't within the Open Comp class, it's all the class racers I've come in contact with. And after all that, if by chance, I do well enough to get my name/car in the magazine, it just makes the experience that much more memorable!

Not to mention the treatment I've received from the NMCA staff, from Charlie to Sharon and all in between, nothing but the utmost of respect and gratitude from them and towards them!

Come on guys, did we start doing this to be in a magazine???? No, we started racing for the love of the sport and the thrill of the speed and acceleration! Weather if I'm ever in another issue of FSC or not, I'm not going to stop running the series, I didn't start because of the magazine, I started because of my love and passion for the sport, the magazine coverage is just an added bonus! So with that being said, I love the old format with the more likely chance of being in print, but the new format drives me harder to go further in rounds with hopes of securing my spot in FSC! So the best thing I can say about the new format is: Thanks for the motivation and I'll see you in the winners circle!!
    Last edited by Denny Pett; 01-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Denny Pett
    NMC 8401
    Open Comp 9089
    2011 / 2013 NMCA Signature Award Recipient

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    Carolyn, Dad, Andy Warren, John Mackey
    Jason & Patrick @ Auto Transmission Factory
    WWW.ATFSPEED.COM

Zach @ Quick Fuel Carburators

[QUOTE=Denny Pett;70539]I haven't received my latest copy yet So with that being said, I love the old format with the more likely chance of being in print, but the new format drives me harder to go further in rounds with hopes of securing my spot in FSC! !![/QUOTE]

Maybe you should have waited until you saw the magazine, I understand you are riding a high right now off the website, but wait for your magazine and put yourself in John Warren's and other first time World Finals event winners shoes expecting to see the coverage similar to NMRA World Finals in Racepages and of FSC past.

Certainly, you make a lot of good points and not everyone races for the same reason, I bet a Bluegrass farm that any race you attend and see that event's coverage on FSC cover you immediately check your class for YOUR pic.

Not to discourage your comments because you make many valid points, but I bet another Bluegrass farm, if I was a betting, that Scott would be the first to admit there is some strangeness to the chosen pics and layout that somehow got past final editing. It is not rocket science to understand how hard it must be to now fit two series into one month. But the fact is NMCA racers are recieving considerable less than before, kinda like there are no Christmas bonus this year. Pat on the back, you did a good job but no bonus.

And let me finish by saying I do not think anyone did anything intentional and I certainly have no idea what goes into getting a monthly magazine out, so with that said it is not that I don't appreciate any coverage we get, I just don't want to hurt future attendance by the high standard expected that has been set by FSC and now seemingly a lack thereof. i.e. Christmas Vacation

I am confident there will more coverage for NMCA World Finals event WINNERS in the future.

Skimming through these messages quickly, I can say one thing....

Remember how popular Pink's was? Do you think is was because of the bald guy, or rather your chance to be on TV?

Getting into a magazine, or on TV, is one of the coolest things that can happen - and it is a big reason why someone would travel XXX miles to race NMCA rather than just participate at their local bracket race.

Just my .02 - and I have not seen the format either but am rather commenting on the topic
    Last edited by GMCRACER; 01-05-2013 at 08:52 AM.

GMCRACER - 88 GTA maybe next on deck
    George Carey

Bobby, I agree with you 100% and completely dislike the new format. We are now sharing "our" FSC with the left coasters where as the NMRA is still only covering their events. What I would like to see is at least 1 class per page coverage with the large winners picture at the top of the page and the other 4 smaller pics at the bottom (look at the LSX coverage in the feb 2012 issue). It still had room for nice little write up in the middle and still got the top 5 racers their well deserved coverage and only took 1 page. I think with doing the coverage this way will provide plenty of room for an equal amount of coverage for both East and West series. Another thing I don't like is seeing full page ads for companies that don't so any class or contingency sponsoring, but expect us racers to support them. I also don't like seeing 4-5 pages of Car Show coverage as in the same feb 2012 issue, that's just me, the racers that travel the series are who support and carry the series not the one stop wonders that aren't even paying NMCA members but yet get just as much coverage. IMO, the show cars just just take up much needed pit space and are a necessary evil. NMCA race class winners deserve the large picture spot light and I feel bad for those whom didn't get it, it's not fair to them at all! Thou I haven't seen it yet, I'm sure John will feel cheated and that's not right!

I admit, I LOVE the web article (which has not clouded my judgement) and will take any coverage I can get, but it's not the REASON I race, it's an added bonus. And hell yeah I go to my class coverage first to look for my name or pic, who doesn't, but when I don't see it there, it just drives me harder to do better.
    Denny Pett
    NMC 8401
    Open Comp 9089
    2011 / 2013 NMCA Signature Award Recipient

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    Carolyn, Dad, Andy Warren, John Mackey
    Jason & Patrick @ Auto Transmission Factory
    WWW.ATFSPEED.COM

Zach @ Quick Fuel Carburators

Thanks George and Denny, very good thought out ideas and I think that is what Scott is looking for. I know the NMCA has been extremely busy and when comparing the last two months of FSC side by side obviously there is oversights of "Jellies fo the Month " vesus the customary racing "bonus".

I call it a bonus because no one else National Dragster etc, cater to all classes with same consideration Scott and crew have since 2004. Maybe it is good that this has happened with regards to the old saying sometimes you don't know what you got until you lose it.

Signed Clark Griswald
    Last edited by NMC-1; 01-05-2013 at 10:44 AM.

GMCRACER - 88 GTA maybe next on deck
    George Carey

[QUOTE=NMC-1;70540]
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Pett View Post
    [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]

Maybe you should have waited until you saw the magazine, I understand you are riding a high right now off the website, but wait for your magazine and put yourself in John Warren's and other first time World Finals event winners shoes expecting to see the coverage similar to NMRA World Finals in Racepages and of FSC past.

I'm not speaking for John, but the rest of my family is pretty disappointed in the coverage. The old format was perfect, you got a spotlight for your hard work and an opportunity to thank those who helped you get there. You had a chance to put a story behind your accomplishment. I had some special thank yous to give for my win at Milan, one of those being an NMCA event sponsor the other being my brother for saving my ass with a spare engine. None of that was printed, and if it wasn't for those people I wouldn't have made the race. That was the major attractive thing about racing with the series was the coverage. You could personally thank sponsors and those who help you. Remember when the website had the demographics material available for download to help you get sponsors? What good is it to pitch that to a sponsor when your thank you isn't printed, and your race win photo is 2"x2"?

John went from running 11s in Open Comp to breaking records and winning the World Finals in Xtreme Street. (Doing so on a 9-5 budget, and having to park in the grass with us filler index cars) He was hoping of a nice write up to get some help to make a complete run at the series in 2013. After seeing the race coverage of Indy, I think he has changed his mind.

I love what everyone at ProMedia does, and value the friendships and support that you have given me and all of the other racers. I just think you are trying to shove 20lbs of shit into a 5lb bag. Races within races, when you already have 11-12 classes and a full bracket program. Imagine if car counts were the way they were back in the early 2000s? It would take 4-5 days to complete an event. When you have to cover all of that and a separate region series, no wonder you have to chop up and condense the coverage...
    Andy Warren
    2009/2010/2011 NMCA Nostalgia Muscle Car Champion

TRZ Motorsports, ATF Speed, Flowmaster Mufflers, Dart Machinery, Fuelab, VP Race Fuels, Mickey Thompson Tires, Flex-a-Lite, Scorpion Racing Products, Knieriem Racing Engines, Quick Fuel Technology, Ultimate Converter Concepts, Moroso, MSD Ignition, Red Line Oil, Comp Cams, Powermaster Performance, and Afco
    WarrenRacing@comcast.net

Okay, Okay, Okay... I hear you.

Sheesh.

Finding balance is the key here, guys. Just like your combinations, there are times when you try something new and it works, other times it blows. We made the change for the last three races of the season (including Texas in that count), to see the reaction. (Bobby/Clark) The plan was to switch Race Pages to the new format next year, based on the warm reception we (expected) to get from you.

Oops.

Still we need to find some balance in order to make everything fit next year.

One of the things we were moving towards was adding more feature/interview pages -- something with more mass appeal, unlike class coverage, which appeals to very few of the overall numbers of readers we have.

(Andy) John might not have received 150 words to thank people, but in the issue we're working on now, he has two pages in the "spotlight" for this month.

See all... the idea was to eliminate time-sensitive information which, as I mentioned last month, is attractive to a finite number of our overall readership, but not the the majority of those who read the mag. It was our plan to offset the lack of coverage with more features, interviews, etc., so you guys could still get exposure. However: that coverage wouldn't be constrained by singular events.

Wanna know the funny part? The guys who race with us here on the West Coast... really like their coverage. You guys got spoiled (that was a well-intended, lighthearted jab).

We'll go back to the drawing board before Bradenton and see what we can come up with. One thing though, we can't go back to two pages of coverage per class -- there just isn't room.

Here are some basic facts to chew on...

The word count for each class is actually the same (around 325-350) as had been written in the previous format of the magazine, so the written "coverage" is still basically the same.There are still quotes from the winner of each class (when they return a call) too. The difference is, those quotes aren't in a box at the top of the page. Yes, there are fewer photos, especially for you guys (Index racers).

In reading the above, and considering your complaints, is it safe for me to assume that this all boils down to two things?

1: you don't have a page to call your own?
    2: there aren't as many photos?

I'm open to ideas... so bring 'em on.

I just want to say thank you Scott for listening with open mind. It was my undertaking to address what I thought would be hurt feelings rather than just not say anything and the aftermath not pleasing to any one. i.e. FSC, Participants or readers.

You are right we are spoiled I said that, but again hard to go to jellies of the month on a bonus appetite without notice.

Scott, your ideas may work, at least it could buy some time for adjustment. One latest idea I had maybe stretch out the season coverage to 12 months, yourself said the FSC was now stagecoach news anyway. I know in Jan Feb March April issues it is kinda slow event coverage normally.

IMO it would have been better to had all exclusive NMCA West event coverage in this latest issue with broad band coverage for NMCA World Finals next month rather then what we got.

Would that help ?

Clark

Bobby, I'm sorry you are upset over the coverage I got and you feel you didn't. But I don't feel too good about your remark about Scott and I getting a room either. I don't think you needed to say that. Seems you are the one with the mind running in that direction. As for the coverage I appreciate all I can get but I can see where people would like the old way better. I did too but I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get the coverage I did and thank you NMCA for it. As for Scott's Buick, it's really a Chevy in Buick clothes, just another LS. If you think it is so easy, you'll try running a real Buick.
    Thanks,

Jim Netherland
    NMCA Nostalgia Super Stock World Champion 2007 and 2012
    67 Buick GS 400 B/NSS
    Last edited by Jim Netherland; 01-09-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Netherland View Post
    Bobby, I'm sorry you are upset over the coverage I got and you feel you didn't. But I don't feel too good about your remark about Scott and I getting a room either. I don't think you needed to say that. Seems you are the one with the mind running in that direction. As for the coverage I appreciate all I can get but I can see where people would like the old way better. I did too but I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get the coverage I did and thank you NMCA for it. As for Scott's Buick, it's really a Chevy in Buick clothes, just another LS. If you think it is so easy, you'll try running a real Buick.
    Thanks,

Jim Netherland
    NMCA Nostalgia Super Stock World Champion 2007 and 2012
    67 Buick GS 400 B/NSS
    You are entirely correct the room comment was off base. I apologize.

However, I don't need any more coverage. That shot missed and YOU know why.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast