Thread: LS Sealed Crate Engine Class

LS Sealed Crate Engine Class

With the growing popularity of NMRA Coyote Stock, I think it would be a great opportunity to get something going on the NMCA and or/LSX Challenge side. This type of class is the perfect way for the average working racer to be competitive in a heads up class. Though N/A Limited is pitched as the series entry level class, it still takes a $20,000+ engine to be half way competitive. If the turn key package crate engine cost was kept low, I think this type of racing could really take off. I think Coyote Stock had about 14 entries at their finals in Bowling Green, and it was only the 2nd year of the class. I hear there were close to 14 more engine packages sold after that.

Here are the rules for Coyote Stock. We could use these rules and convert them over to fit the GM application.
    http://www.nmradigital.com/cat/class...tock-final.pdf

With the package a some what stock engine combination, your possabilities are endless with what you can do with the car when you're not in NMCA action. You could index race, bracket race, possibly fit in IHRA Crate Motor Stocker classes, or even drive it on the street.

Would any of you be interested in something like this? If so, share your ideas.

I'm thinking:
    LS3 based sealed crate engine (525HP) with sealed ECM
    3200lbs
    28x10.5 Slick or 3754R M/T 275/60 Radial
    Mean Street/NA Limited type chassis rules
    Clutch Shifted Manual Tremecs
    TH350 or 4L80E (transbrakes permitted)
    Andy Warren
    2009/2010/2011 NMCA Nostalgia Muscle Car Champion

TRZ Motorsports, ATF Speed, Flowmaster Mufflers, Dart Machinery, Fuelab, VP Race Fuels, Mickey Thompson Tires, Flex-a-Lite, Scorpion Racing Products, Knieriem Racing Engines, Quick Fuel Technology, Ultimate Converter Concepts, Moroso, MSD Ignition, Red Line Oil, Comp Cams, Powermaster Performance, and Afco
    WarrenRacing@comcast.net

Blog Entries
    Andy I am guessing you are aware of the thread on ls1tech.com about this?
    2014 Return stifled
    2013 Car sold, trailer sold, truck sold...just a fan now
    2012 Retirement?
    2011 Eaton Posi Late Model EFI Champion! Back-to-Back
    2010 Eaton Posi Late Model EFI Champion!
    2009 Memphis LSX Shootout Rumble Winna!
    2008 Atco LSX Showdown Winna!

Andy, I know you have been posting in the LS1tech thread, I figured I would post the link: http://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet-...lsx-class.html
    Since EFI just got axed, I guess I need a new class to run anyway...

David Rickey
    2002 Camaro Z28
    E/EFI 11323

Quote Originally Posted by REDGAR View Post
    Andy I am guessing you are aware of the thread on ls1tech.com about this?
    I am.. I'm pretty involved with it. I just figured I would see if I could get some other feedback from the 6 people that post on this forum. lol
    Andy Warren
    2009/2010/2011 NMCA Nostalgia Muscle Car Champion

TRZ Motorsports, ATF Speed, Flowmaster Mufflers, Dart Machinery, Fuelab, VP Race Fuels, Mickey Thompson Tires, Flex-a-Lite, Scorpion Racing Products, Knieriem Racing Engines, Quick Fuel Technology, Ultimate Converter Concepts, Moroso, MSD Ignition, Red Line Oil, Comp Cams, Powermaster Performance, and Afco
    WarrenRacing@comcast.net

I think it's a great idea. It would be really great if the CS cars can cross over.
    huge thanks to.....
    modular depot
    upr
    spec clutches
    bes engine service

Sounds like a cool class.

Wish you the best Andy on getting the class going.
    Alan Mackin
    '95 Mustang GT IHRA Pure Stocker
    '86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 2.3Turbo NHRA Stocker

Read the new Hot Rod article on why Ford is spending its racing money on sports classes and dropping racers like Force.This will add to efforts such as crate motor classes etc.Racing at the pro level has gotten boring and people don't attend for that reason.......And the NMCA drops the LX series.They just dont get it as to where the growth is going forward.The other issue is the need to deal with the younger generations muscle car....imports.Like it or not Imports represent growth.Personally I'm not an import guy but I love our sport and can't see growth without considering imports.

Quote Originally Posted by keypunch View Post
    Read the new Hot Rod article on why Ford is spending its racing money on sports classes and dropping racers like Force.This will add to efforts such as crate motor classes etc.Racing at the pro level has gotten boring and people don't attend for that reason.......And the NMCA drops the LX series.They just dont get it as to where the growth is going forward.The other issue is the need to deal with the younger generations muscle car....imports.Like it or not Imports represent growth.Personally I'm not an import guy but I love our sport and can't see growth without considering imports.
    Do you know something we don't? I think the LSX Series has been growing every year. I think that the NMCA is always looking for a way to improve the series. As they did for 2014 by dropping Bradenton and adding Ohio. I think that was brilliant. I suggested that two years ago. Believe or not, the NMCA have there ears open all the time listening for suggestions on how to make the series better and how to make it grow. At the 2012 awards ceremony it was mentioned that the NMCA has the largest payout and contingency payout in US Drag Racing. You will not find another series in the US that is currently paying anywhere near what the NMCA pays out.
    Props for the NMCA having a thread for beginning and mid season rule suggestion/change. You never here of anyone else doing this.
    See everyone soon - Happy New Year!!!

LSX Rumble #666
    EFI Rumble #11666
    I run 11.50 @ 120mph, not 11.50 @ 75mph - NO SAND BAGGING OR THROTTLE STOPS!!!!

Sorry,meant the LS index classes.You missed what I was saying about growth. The payouts are low compared to many other events as a relationship to entry fees etc.In far to many cases difficulty collecting the payouts is experienced.Not trying to start anything other than a discussion about growth as this thread identified with a good suggestion.Until the stands are full with decent spectator interest drag racing will fail sooner rather than later.I think what t Ford sees going forward is the opportunity to race what people drive.If they don't appeal to that interest they don't sell cars.I enjoyed the NMCA OC series but will not run this year only because of the cost without any east races.None the less,have been racing for 50 years and the sport has a problem .I think all car makers would help expand crate motor classes.The LS3 motor is one hell of a great buy as are others.I have a GTO and was considering running it in the index series as its very affordable to do so,but hey??
    Last edited by keypunch; 01-02-2014 at 06:46 AM.